- We were told Hamas diverted humanitarian aid to build these terror tunnels. (Again with no evidence, this is the excuse Israel now uses to prevent much of the humanitarian aid from entering Gaza.)
- We were told that Hamas used the terror tunnels to hide its arsenal of rocketry underground, to facilitate communication, to permit munition stocks to be hidden and to conceal militants, making detection from the air difficult. (Probably true and demonstrates the strategic lessons Hamas and other fighters have learned since 2008-2009).
- We were told the goal of Israel’s ground incursion into Gaza was to destroy these terror tunnels. (If true, why did Netanyahu wait so long to take action against these tunnels? It took months, if not years, to build these tunnels. Why attack them in the summer of 2014?)
- We’ve learned that the terror tunnels “caused great anxiety among Israelis that the tunnels might be used to attack civilians.” (No doubt. When leaders are hyping up the threat posed by these “terror tunnels” on the public airwaves, I must conclude that the leaders are as much to blame for the anxiety.)
- But the U.N. Independent Commission of Inquiry found that “the tunnels were only used to conduct attacks directed at IDF positions in Israel in the vicinity of the Green Line, which are legitimate military targets.“
Have the Zionists forgotten their own history? What about those tunnels that Jews built beneath the Warsaw Ghetto to aid their resistance to the Nazis’ brutal occupation and murderous assault? Read about the tunnels that Jews built here, here, and the comparison between those earlier tunnels and the tunnels under Gaza is discussed here.
On this day a year ago, Glenn Greenwald wrote the best piece about “terror” – “terrorism” and “terror tunnels” here.
In American media discourse, when Palestinians overwhelmingly kill soldiers (95% of the Israeli death toll) who are part of an army that is blockading, occupying, invading, and indiscriminately bombing them and killing their children by the hundreds, that is “terrorism”; when Israelis use massive, brutal force against a trapped civilian population, overwhelmingly killing innocent men, women and children (at least 75% of the Palestinian death toll), with clear intentions to kill civilians (see point 3), that is noble “self-defense.” That demonstrates how skewed U.S. discourse is in favor of Israel, as well as the purely manipulative, propagandistic nature of the term “terrorists.”